We day

On the 7th March, our Pupil School Council members represented the school by attending WE day at the SSE arena, Wembley. We all had so much fun throughout the day, as we watched different performers and motivational, inspiring speakers. Alexandra Burke, Tokio Myers (a Britain’s got talent winner) and The Vamps all performed. Princess Beatrice and Eugenie spoke about helping each other, no matter what. Margaret Treudeau, the mother of the Canadian president, told us about our oceans becoming increasingly polluted, and how to make a change.

Natasha Maimba and Minahil Sarfraz, refugees and UNICEF young ambassadors, expressed how it felt to be the only one from their country in a community. Musharaf Asgar – a pupil with a severe stammer– and his teacher, Mr Burton, who helped Asgar overcome his stammer. The pair spoke about their incredible journey (with zero stammers!)

Spencer West, who lost his legs as a child, climbed Mount Kilimanjaro in 2012. West interviewed many stars including Sophia Grace. Many other celebrities were there such as: Tallia Storm, Katie Piper, Becca Dudley, and many more. Introducing these incredible acts, were social media sensations, and child actors, Sophia Grace & Rosie McClelland.

One thing we have learnt from this amazing experience is not to let anything stand in our way. Just as Spencer West lost both of his legs, he still climbed Mount Kilimanjaro, the tallest mountain in Africa. People probably thought that he wouldn’t be able to do it, or that he would give up, but he proved those people wrong and showed the world that although he may not be like others, he can still achieve great things.

Miss Lorch interview

What did you expect at WE Day?

“I didn’t know what to expect from WE Day, but everything about it was amazing. The room felt so energised!”

What was your favourite performance?

“I liked the BGT winner Tokyo Myers because he played the drums and piano so well”.

Who was your favourite speaker?

“I very much enjoyed listening to Musharaf Asghar and Mr Burton. It’s amazing to see how far he has come!”

Have you learnt anything from your WE day experience?

I have learnt about the challenges lots of people are facing and as a teacher I can help make a difference.

By Ella and Keira

2 thoughts on “We day